Back in June I planted some seeds in the garden. A few weeks later I had some shoots. A few weeks after that this enormous vine outgrew its trellis and moved into the bushes. I picked some amazing butternut squashes from said vine. Produce doesn’t get much more local or seasonal than that!
Butternut squash is great. One can do a lot with it and it’s a perfect food to transition from the heat of summer to the winds of fall.
One of my favorite things to do with butternut squash is make soup. Making soup is just as nourishing as eating soup. Here’s the recipe. It’s perfect for a light dinner or an after yoga class snack. It also travels well in a thermos. (If you come to my Wed 5:45 class at Studio Vibe next week, that’s likely to be what’s in my thermos! I’m happy to share.)
1 Butternut Squash – medium to large
1 Shallot or onion – diced
1 – 2 cloves minced garlic
2 Vegetable Bullion Cubes (I like Rapunzel Brand)
or 32 oz Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1tsp each, Allspice, Cinnamon, Cardamon (more if desired)
Dash of ginger
Lite Coconut Milk to taste (1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake Butternut Squash for 45-60 minutes until fork tender. Let cool. Then slice and scoop out the seeds. (I think this is easier than trying to peel and slice, but you can do that if you’d prefer. Just cook the soup longer.)
- In a large pot sauté garlic and onions in coconut oil until tender.
- Scoop butternut squash flesh out of the skin and add to onions and garlic.
- Add bullion cubes and several cups of water, enough to cover the veggies, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spices to taste and simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste. Add more spice if needed.
- Use an Immersion Blender or transfer soup to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add coconut milk until soup reaches desired thickness.
- Let simmer another minute or two.
- For added green flare and nutrition, serve with a side salad or top with sprouts.
Yummm!!!!! Doesn’t it sound like a warm and loving hug for your insides? Want more great tips to make this fall one of nourishment and grace? Join me for a FREE Live Call Thursday, September 20th from 7 – 8pm. And if you can’t make the call live, don’t worry, be sure to register and I’ll send you a special link with access to the recording. I’d also love it if you’d help me out and tell your friends!
Other opportunities for Autumn nourishment include a balancing Empower Practice on Saturday, October 5th, and the start of the next Bringing You to Balance: Daily and Seasonal Rhythms to Harmonize Your Life Course on October 1st. If you’re looking to shift from feeling dull, depressed, stuck in a rut, overworked or disconnected to finding more vibrant energy and a deeper connection to Nature and your Spirit in any season, Apply Now to see if you’re a good fit for the course and we’ll chat.
Yours in Soul-filled Soup,